Welcome to our 5-week online course! This is a course designed to introduce the student to the concepts, principles, challenges and rewards of leadership in the field of management.
Each week, you will be provided with a set of learning objectives, and readings The readings and the essay are designed to help you acquire the knowledge and skills needed to achieve the objectives of the week.
The course will be delivered primarily online, through a combination of video lectures and readings. You will be expected to complete the course materials by the completion of the course.
Students are required to have an electronic journal that contains all of their notes for every content assignment in the course. There is a required minimum of one paragraph of notes per hour spent on a content assignment. The journal will be submitted in the Lesson Five Quiz when the course is completed.
Each week, students will perform a casual interview that relates to the content they are studying. A student can interview the same person as often as they want, and ideally, your interviewee is a person that is familiar with the current content you are studying. Students will submit a summary of their interviews at the end of the course.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
After successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- explain various theories, processes, and functions of management;
- apply theories to a business environment (profit or non-profit);
- identify leadership roles and characteristics in organizations;
- describe elements of the communication process including administrative tasks; and
- understand ideas for life-work balance and emotional intelligence as it relates to effective performance for managers in leadership
OPENSTAX Textbook (NO COST): “Principles of Management”, Rice University, 2019. “Download for free at https://openstax.org/details/books/principles-management.” Your Free TEXTBOOK (Download)
Recommended Texts (not required)
- Harvard Business Review -“HBR’s 10 Must Reads” (Boxed Set of 6), November 1, 2011 ( $48.00 on Amazon)
- “the Little Black Book of Management”, Essential Tools for Getting Results NOW, by Suzanne Turner, 2010
- “Level Three Leadership: Getting Below the Surface”, 5th Edition by James G. Clawson, 2012
- “Business Ethics”, 6th Edition, by William H. Shaw, 2008
All course materials comply with copyright/fair use policies
We are excited to have you join us for this 5-week journey and we look forward to reading your essays and working with you to achieve your goals. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Let’s begin!