To nourish and edify
St. Athanasius Press makes the lofty ideas of the ivory tower accessible to all people, from all walks of life. We are the first Eastern Orthodox entity to adopt a dual approach to publishing, making the academic popular for the nourishment and edification of all.
WHO WE ARE
St. Athanasius was established in 1976 as the educational division of the New Covenant Apostolic Order. That group eventually identified itself as the Evangelical Orthodox Church. In 1987, this group of 19 churches and 2,000 people were brought into the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America by His Eminence Metropolitan PHILIP. In 1993, St. Athanasius produced the Orthodox Study Bible. In 2008, St. Athanasius completed its work of an unabridged English translation of the Septuagint.
We publish books by Orthodox Christians that are in line with our mission statement above. At this time, we are only reviewing books which would fall under the category of non-fiction.
We are interested in books about Orthodox theology, spirituality, ecclesiology, missiology, and true stories which edify. Specifically, we hope to see books that address an unmet need or gap in the publishing world of Orthodoxy. We are also interested in translations with appropriate commentary.
We respond to completed proposals within four weeks.
Write 1-2 paragraphs each on the following
- A description of your book.
- The reason(s) you wrote the book.
- Your qualifications for writing the book, including CV if appropriate.
- Describe your platform, if any, consisting of blog, website, social media, podcast, and what you will do to promote your book.
- Target audience and demographic.
- Any similar books currently available and how your book is different.
- Table of Contents with 1-2 paragraph descriptions of each chapter.
- Name(s) of those who will write the foreword and/or introduction.
Also include the projected word count and an ETA on completion. Attach ONLY the first three chapters of your book to the query letter. Do not attach the entire book.
We will respond within four weeks with either a request to see more OR an explanation why we will pass on this particular book at this time.
Format for Book Proposal
- All materials should be in a 12-point standard serif font (e.g., Times) with a 1″ margin.
- All submissions must be in PDF file format.
- The descriptive sections of your submission may be single-spaced, with space between paragraphs and clear section headings.
- Sample chapters must be double-spaced. Each chapter should begin on a new page, about a third of the way down the page.
- Use the standard half-inch indentation at the beginning of each paragraph. Do not add an extra line space between paragraphs.
Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org